Sunday night (late night) I got a phone call from an old friend, whose friend needed a last minute cake for her daughters 4th birthday. I figure I don't have TOO much going on, so I say yes. And then she tells me they need it by Wednesday morning. 2 days. I can do this. I instantly make a list of the things I need, and what my goals will be. Monday morning I start running around shopping for the things I need, and I get a text message.. ANOTHER friend needs a last minute cake for her sons 4th birthday. I think about my timing with the other cake, and I decide, 'yes Carolyn, you can do this'. Then she tells me she needs this cake Wednesday AS WELL!! Well, I already said yes, what can I do. I get home with barely enough time to start baking a big ol' 12in x 12in cake, and leave in time to go to the Jazz/Dallas game (because of course I can't miss a Jazz game, even though I have hours of decorating to do). That night I stay up until 3 getting everything prepped and ready to go, and it's right then that I remember I have a hair appointment at noon the next morning, CRAP! And obviously it's too late to reschedule.. just another thing to add to my list.
Tuesday morning, I wake up early, get a lot done, and even clean my house before my client comes over! Luckily, I put Riley down for a nap right after she got here, so I didn't have him biting my ankles for 2 hours. I get her in and out in no time, and lucky lucky me, Riley wakes up 15 min after she leaves. and of course, the one day I have to bust things out, is the one day he 'demands' me to hold him while he drinks his juice, and only wants to be fed the foods that he needs help with. Good thing I have the best sister ever, and she came over to help out. We were calling her my assistant/babysitter. She helps with the cakes, and keeps Riley busy so I can do what I need to do. This is the cake I got done Tuesday night, 100% complete before bed time.
The next morning, after delivering the High School Musical cake, I only had a few hours to get the next cake done. And surprise surprise, Riley wakes up with a full blown fever!! After a dose of Tylenol, he must have been feeling better, because the rest of the morning wasn't too tough. I even got Sponge Bob done in record time!
As we were leaving the house, FedEx walks up to our door with a HUGE package for Riley. Trav and I ordered him a 'big boy' basketball hoop. He knew what it was, just by the pictures on the box lol. When we got home, I pulled it out, and assembly it quickly. I can't even get the net on before he is going BANANAS.
Now, his naps are usually around 1pm, lasting about 3 hours. It's already 130pm, and he is obsessed with this stupid hoop. He can't even reach it. It's way too big, so he needs help. LOTS of help. *Note to Parents- Don't buy toys that require 100% of your time* He was SO SO grumpy, I knew he needed a nap, but he was not having it. I put him down with his ball, but he freaked, which isn't normal. So I took the ball away, and he freaked more. Then I decided to rig his crib. I brought the hoop in, and set it up so when he plays with it, he wouldn't loose the ball, and figured he would get tired of this and go to bed.
(had a picture, but my phone is dead, so I can't upload it)
1 HOUR LATER he is still playing! It's almost 3, and we have to leave for another Jazz game at 5:30. He needs his nap! SO I go back in, take it all away, and he freaks out again! Bad! He cries and cries, and finally, at 345, he is quiet, and I think, at least he will get a small nap. BUT NO! 30 minutes later, HE IS AWAKE! Crying for his stupid new basketball! I had a few errands to run, and while I was out from 4- 530, him and Trav only played basketball. That's all they did! Unbelievable. His fever was back, so I decided that we would stay home from the game since he wasn't feeling well, (and he didn't have a nap). For almost another hour all he wants is to do is play stupid ball. Finally, I lock the hoop in the bathroom, and of course, I bet you can all guess, he freaks out. He is throwing a temper tantrum outside the bathroom, like I'm going to open it up. hahaha. I just ignored him, and all of a sudden he is over it. He is playing, reading books, walking over and giving me kisses. It was like my kid was possessed for those 5 hours. Needless to say, we are putting that hoop away until we can find another one that meets his needs without completely contact with us.
PHEW, well, I'm off to bed. Another late night. I am worried to say 'next week shouldn't be as busy', but I don't want to jinx myself.. hahaha Thanks for letting me unload!






6 comments:
Both turned out soo cute! If you ever need help let me know. Ada would love to play with Riley!
This is such a great post! I'm glad that I stumbled upon it! You write so well Carolyn -- I could totally feel what you were feeling while I was reading it. Thankfully I wasn't going through all of that, though. You're a hero!! Oh, and great advice!
YOU ARE SO TALENTED GIRL!!! Those are DARLING cakes!
Wow! Those are super impressive!
What a woman!!
Those look great you did a wonderful job!
Post a Comment